Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Bookkeeping for growing small businesses

So I've been most consumed lately getting all the end of year paperwork and calculations ready for my corporate tax filings- yes, tax season is once again upon us and lining up a co-packer. I have great news about the co-packer but more about that maybe tomorrow.

Now, some reflections on the financial stuff...

As owner of a business that's started to show consistent sales activity, I'd been keeping track of my expenses, sales and all that good stuff using an Excel spreadsheet. Now to be totally honest, this method had been working just fine. Everything was pretty straightforward and the spreadsheet was easy to use.

Now that I have loans, prepaid expenses and all sorts of stuff like that, the process of working through receipts in January was like wrestling a huge bear with sharp claws. I mean, OK so an expense is always an expense, right? Well maybe except if it's a loan?? ...and how exactly do you calculate cash on hand? Clearly, I am going to need some help but my business is still a start-up and I just can't afford to hire a full time CFO or bookkeeper. Still, it became clear that my Excel spreadsheet just wasn't going to cut it anymore.

My business partner and hubby Josh and my friend Ric Dragon of Dragon Search Marketing both highly recommended Quickbooks. Ric uses Quickbooks for his business bookkeeping and commented how user friendly the software is to use and how  much it simplified the bookkeeping process.

So, I'm jumping in with both feet! I did an online google search for Quickbooks training classes in the local area and found a course offered by Suny Ulster (course # DCM 646 36). It was easy to browse their online catalog and the entire registration process was quick and simple. The course runs 4, 3-hour evening sessions and my registration fee includes a textbook and student copy of the software (a nice cost savings for the software).

I'm pretty psyched! Hopefully, the hardest part will be getting caught up with all of my receipts from January 1st till today :)  The first class is tonight 3/1- I'm a little nervous about it but looking forward to learning an easier way to organize and classify all the receipts. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's to lifelong learning!

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment