Friday, October 15, 2010

How the production test runs at Nelson's Farms went

So, a couple of weeks ago I did production test runs at Nelson's Farms in Cazenovia, NY. The process worked well- I made a very small amount (maybe the volume equivalent of 2 - 4 cups of each of the products) in Nelson's Farms test kitchen. From that, Amanda and Sue were able to quote me a price to perform production of my gourmet sauces and condiments.

I'm going to take a look at their ingredient price list- I may be able to get some of the more expensive ingredients cheaper at a different source and then I'll know where I'm at. A colleague, Johnny McLaughlin who owns Heartbreaking Dawns recommended a source for one of my most expensive ingredients so I'm gonna give them a call and check out their pricing. Thanks, Johnny!!

I suspect that Baron's International Kitchen is at an in-between stage of growth right now such that though I can't afford the time to continue to make all my gourmet products myself, by myself, Baron's International Kitchen is just not quite ready for a co-packer. I'm going to resume my journey towards the 25th store and get back out meeting and talking with other business owners. I have really been enjoying that part of my job.

So, I guess the outcome is that I don't really know what the outcome is yet. I'll keep you posted...

I met Johnny McLaughlin of Heartbreaking Dawns at the Rosendale Street Fair in Rosendale NY this past summer- nice guy. Heartbreaking Dawns sells a variety of gourmet spicy products including hot sauce. I'm glad to have met both Johnny McLaughlin of Heartbreaking Dawns and Marty Fabian of Beechwood House Sauces there actually- these guys both rock! They've demonstrated a real collaborative spirit- letting me pick their brains, offering advice, sharing lessons learned. Their knowledge and real world experiences while building and growing their businesses have been invaluable to helping me grow Baron's International Kitchen. Thanks, guys!

Here's to local businesses helping local businesses!

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment